Come to sunny Tennessee for the weekend! Share your experience as a VHL patient, increase your knowledge of caring for your holistic needs, and discuss topics that are particularly relevant to young adults. This weekend retreat offers a good balance between fun activities and serious discussions.
Young adult VHL patients (19–34 years). No partners or children.
Cost: $50 registration fee + money for transportation and dinners.
Lodging: A home has been donated just south of Nashville for the retreat. Sleeping bag/air mattress/couch space is available for Friday and Saturday night for the first 10 people who register.
Transportation: Planning to fly? Use Nashville’s airport (BNA). Looking to carpool? Contact Andrea to see if other patients are coming from your area. Activities are planned from Friday night through Sunday afternoon in the greater Nashville area.
Fun and active events: Nashville outing, swimming, stargazing, hiking Interactive lectures/discussion topics (tentative):
- New surgical/SRS/ablation techniques
- The logic behind screening guidelines: How were they established? How are they developing now?
- Life planning: transitioning to college/career, choosing a healthcare plan/disability, managing repeated surgeries and extended recoveries
- The adult patient: seeking a second opinion, participating in coordinated care, utilizing VHLA
- Family Planning: discussing VHL when dating, considering genetic inheritance and pregnancy for women with VHL
E-mail Andrea.Berkemeier@vhl.org with any questions!